[Bioperl-l] Possible migration to git/github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 19:38:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> I do share some of D. Joe Anderson's concerns, mainly re: use of
> github's other tools.  However, I don't particularly see this as an
> insurmountable issue, just one that needs to be clarified w/ regards
> to how many of the github tools we intend on supporting.  I don't
> envision a complete migration to their wiki services or bug tools
> for the time being.

Good point - There are lots of optional features offered by
github.com beyond just hosting git repositories.

For Biopython we don't use the github bug system, wiki, or
downloads feature - we continue to use the OBF hosted
resources for everything like this. Looking at BioRuby, they
also seem to ignore these bits of github in favour of OBF
servers (for the wiki and source code archives) and
rubyforge.org (for bugs and the latest downloads).

In the case of the wiki, the OBF hosted media-wiki works
fine and is under the project's own domain name. Moving
it to github seems pointless to me.

In the case of the downloads, github can allow people to
download any tag from the repository as a tar ball - quite
handy, but for Biopython we prefer to get people to download
our official archives which contain the compiled HTML and
PDF documentation.

Peter