[Bioperl-l] Possible migration to git/github

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 18:51:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:24:22PM +0100, Peter wrote:
>> You are right there is a potential concern if the project comes
>> depend on any of github's additions like the network diagram
>> or commenting features,
>
> Given that the github additions are usually cited in favor of
> putting a project into github, I would say that such concerns
> are likely to be realized.

It is certainly worth keeping in mind (especially if BioPerl
does move to github). While we are on this topic, to me
the nicest parts about github are two things:

(*) Easy tracking of other forks of a project (or rather,
other forks also on github)

(*) Building on this, the network diagram. I imagine a similar
figure *could* be made as a standalone tool. If such a thing
exists, I'd be interested to try it.

> Sorry, this is a new thread that Chris started.  I'd missed the
> earlier one.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah - that was a while back, but in my mind it was just a
continuation of the old thread.

Peter