[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::genbank

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Thu Apr 8 20:57:52 UTC 2010

> The only problem I had with the XML spit out from eutils has been it was
> an on-the-fly conversion of the ASN.1.  Not sure what the status of it
> is now.

Oh, that's right. I remember you saying that at some point.

> What's going on with the INSDC XML format?  That was supposed to be an
> international standard and appeared more lightweight (if such a thing
> can be said about XML).

This page references 2006 as the present and near future, so that's not encouraging.
http://insdc.org/xmlstatus.html

I'll take the opportunity to shamelessly plug the lightweight (really!) XML sequence format developed in my lab, SeqXML, which we made when we got fed up with overloaded FASTA headers. There's a BioPerl SeqIO module for it.

Details and example code at: http://seqxml.org

Dave