[Bioperl-l] subsection of genbank file

Liam Elbourne lelbourn at science.mq.edu.au
Mon Sep 7 07:52:04 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Is there a method or methodology that will produce a fully fledged Seq
object with all the associated metadata given a start and end
position? To clarify, I create a sequence object from a genbank file:

****
my $io  = Bio::Seqio->new(as per usual);

my $seqobj = $io->next_seq();
****
I now want:

my $sub_seqobj = $seqobj between 300 and 2000

where $sub_seqobj is a Seq object (which I appreciate is an
'aggregate' of objects) too. The "trunc" method only returns a
PrimarySeq object which lacks all the annotation etc. I've previously
done this task by iterating through feature by feature and parsing out
what I needed, but thought there might be a more elegant approach...

Regards,
Liam Elbourne.