[Bioperl-l] BioPerl on Wikipedia

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Thu Feb 26 09:00:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Dave Messina <David.Messina at sbc.su.se> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I just noticed that the Wikipedia page on
> BioPerl<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioPerl>was woefully out of date,
> at least with respect to the current version
> number.

Good catch.  I see that this page is ranked by google as #4 out of
about 500K hits for 'Bioperl', so it would be good to keep it current.

> I updated it to reflect the new 1.6.0 release, but it'd be great if there
> was some automated way to keep the version info on there up-to-date.
>
> The BioPerl website is also running MediaWiki -- maybe that's a possible
> route? Does anyone know if there's an easy way to do something like this?
> (Mark, Jay, Mauricio, I'm looking in your direction.)
>

> In general, though, the info there is still pretty sparse so if anyone has
> the time or inclination to improve on it, please do so.

I made a few small updates on our Wikipedia page. Yes, it could use a
bit of fleshing out.

As for automatically updating Wikipedia based on our MW site, I think
it is doable. For example, using the Perlwikipedia module it should be
possible to grab the latest release version from our site and update
it on the WP page.

We could also look into setting up some interwiki links to improve the
integration between the WP page and key pages on bioperl.org.

Steve