[Bioperl-l] Unwise elimination of nodes inB:T:Node::remove_Descendent?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Fri Feb 6 14:34:03 UTC 2009

Hilmar--

>> doesn't throw and returns 25, which is correct.
>
> If you replace 'y' with the root in the above, yes. Otherwise no.

Absolutely-- up the thread you'll see the late-night correction-

> I guess I'm confused by the above code snippet. If @d are the  descendants of
> $a1, then I don't understand what the purpose of adding  $d[0] as a descendant
> of $a1 is (after altering its branch length).  Furthermore, if $a1 is the
> ancestor of $self, and $a1 has only one  descendant, wouldn't that mean that
> $d[0] == $self?

Yes-- this snippet is actually what was present in remove_Descendent,
and what I proposed to delete -- sorry if that was confusing.
The commit was simply the deletion of this snippet.

> Furthermore, I think it's also a bad idea to remove descendant leaf  nodes if
> you remove an internal node. What if you really just wanted  to remove the
> internal node because, for example, its branching point  isn't well supported?
> So removing node 'y' should make z a node of  degree 3, but not remove C and D
> unless you ask to remove the subtree  beginning at 'y'.

Absolutely. Node deletion and pruning must be different
operations. I'm new to the code, but Sendu's splice() seems to
take care only to snip out requested nodes. It was the goodness
in splice() that sent me to remove_Descendent()

thanks!
MAJ