[Bioperl-l] Test coverage for BioPerl now available

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 1 12:54:20 UTC 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Mauricio Herrera Cuadra wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Daily-updated test coverage reports are now available for those
> BioPerl packages which make use of the Build.PL mechanism (except
> bioperl-db):
>
> http://bioperl.org/test-coverage/bioperl-live/
> http://bioperl.org/test-coverage/bioperl-network/
> http://bioperl.org/test-coverage/bioperl-run/
>
> These reports will help us to know the current 'quality' of the code
> in SVN for most of the BioPerl modules. This idea was started by
> Nathan Haigh and Sendu a long time ago and it was my fault to not
> implement on time the necessary script to run the process on a daily
> basis, so apologies for that.
>
> There are still a few things to be done in order to have this
> working as it should:
>
> - Nathan, current Devel::Cover module from CPAN doesn't include the
> JS modifications to make table columns sortable. Do you know what
> happened to the code you contributed to the author for that?
>
> - Reports could be generated for the rest of the BioPerl packages as
> soon as they're migrated to the Build.PL infrastructure. Anyone up
> for that?

Beyond bioperl-db (which Jason mentioned a solution for) and bioperl-
pedigree which other distributions would we be talking about?  I think
bioperl-ext would be too problematic under the current build scheme.

> - bioperl-db tests require BioSQL to be setup in the webserver
> machine, and the same goes for bioperl-run's tests with ALL of its
> dependencies. The bioperl.org site is co-hosted with all of the
> other OBF projects and that machine also takes care of other things
> (mailing lists, etc), so I would like your feedback on possible
> workarounds to not overload the server if we want to setup such test
> reports.

I think Jason answered that one.

> Thanks & regards,
> Mauricio.

Fantastic work Mauricio, thanks for taking the time to do this!