[Bioperl-l] Withdraw Bio::Graphics and Bio::DB::SeqFeature from bioperl distribution?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Nov 10 22:59:58 UTC 2008

Dan Bolser wrote:
> Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but why have an overall
> release cycle at all?
>
> BioPerl is so large and diverse, asking for a new 'release' is almost
> like asking for 'the next release of CPAN'. Can't inter-module
> dependencies just be handled in the same way as in the rest of CPAN,
> with everything released asynchronously? Is BioPerl just too tightly
> woven for that to happen?

Doing that is considered a Bad Idea (TM):
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2007/07/msg55160.html
(especially Adam Kennedy's postings of 4/07)

(It just so happens that we discuss Bio::Graphics as an example of the
problem)

As for Lincoln's desire to pull Bio::Graphics out, as Chris described
that was more or less the kind of plan we had in mind. We'd have
probably ended up splitting it out into its own little package so that
it could be updated and released on its own cycle, with the latest
version of it always compatible and tested with the latest core package
and any other split-off Bio package it might depend on. In our plan
Bio::Graphics would still have belonged to Bioperl-ML on CPAN, but I can
understand the desire for Lincoln to have full direct control over those
modules again.