[Bioperl-l] (no subject)

Diego Mauricio Riano Pachon diriano at uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jul 21 15:49:10 UTC 2008

Hi Ronnie,

Ronnie de Jonge wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> Exactly my problem there in step 7 and 8.
> As said, I tried to solve this problem by blasting the domain sequence to
> the cdna database, and use the first hit reference (parse by searchIO) for
> further truncation of the cdna hit. Though this gives false positives.
>
> -----
> I'm wonder now  if i could do the same, though instead of blasting the
> entire database just blast the hit to it's own cdna sequence (single fasta)
> 'on-the-fly'? (guess not possible, regarding the formatdb step?)
> -----

Yes, you can do this. using bl2seq (BLAST 2 sequences), something like:

Assuming that:

- $DNA has your Xn DNA sequence as a bioperl object, as in Dave e-mail.
- $protein_subseq has the SH2 domain from residue 30 to 51 from protein
Xp, as a bioperl object

my $blast_factory= Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast->new(-program =>
'blastx', -F => 'F', -outfile => "$blast_output");
$blast_factory->bl2seq($DNA,$protein_subseq);

then you can parse the blast result using Bio::SearchIO.

hope this helps,

Diego

> Cheers
> Ronnie