[Bioperl-l] Bio::LocatableSeq warning

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Wed Dec 17 18:03:00 UTC 2008

178 was the length of the sequence calculated by AlignIO and set with
$seq->end(178). This number evidently ignores the 5 characters
*, 2, *, *, and 4.

Lseq ran interference, removing the gaps but not the special chars for the
length calculation and came up with  183 = 178+5. It reset the end of the
sequence to 183 and told you about it.

AlignIO::clustalw collects the end value by parsing a range in the sequence
name, not by counting chars, as far as I can tell. So perhaps the alignment file
is hosed.

I agree it's not too friendly.