[Bioperl-l] NCBI C++ Toolkit wrapper (was: not BioPerl)

Josh Cherry jcherry at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Thu Aug 7 17:06:28 UTC 2008

For those who may be wondering what this is about, a Perl interface to the
NCBI C++ Toolkit is available at
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools++/CURRENT/.  The C++ Toolkit is
the main code base that we develop and use at NCBI.  It includes many
things that may be of interest to BioPerl users, such as sequence analysis
algorithms, means for interacting with NCBI databases, and facilities for
reading, writing, and manipulating NCBI data model objects (usually
defined by ASN.1 specifications; writeable as ASN.1, XML, and JSON, and
readable from ASN.1 and XML).

Russell, I think you can make things work from behind a firewall by
setting some environment variables: set CONN_FIREWALL to 1, possibly set
CONN_STATELESS to 1, and set CONN_HTTP_PROXY_HOST and CONN_HTTP_PROXY_PORT
as appropriate.  Please email me if you can't get things to work.  I'll
see that decent instructions for this are included in the next release.

Josh Cherry