[Bioperl-l] frac_* methods

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Oct 2 22:22:59 UTC 2007

I think my answer before was something to the tune of:

Use an alignment algorithm that finds a single best alignment like
FASTA or Smith-Waterman (SW) if what you want is a single number that
represents the alignment.  BLAST is great for fast searching but
FASTA or SW/SSEARCH are going to be better at creating an alignment.
Consider the -postsw option in WUBLAST as well as it will realign the
HSPs with SW.

I personally never use the frac alignment summary stats for the Hit
object for this reason unless I know I am going to have a single HSP.

-jason