[Bioperl-l] Error while running load_seqdatabase.pl

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jan 9 04:11:38 UTC 2007

George,

this is almost certainly caused by using FASTA format and bioperl's
treatment of it. I am guilty of not having written a FAQ yet for
Bioperl-db, as this would certainly be there.

Specifically, the Bioperl fasta SeqIO parser (load_seqdatabase.pl
uses Bioperl to parse sequence files) does not extract the accession
number from the description line of the fasta sequence, and instead
sets the accession_number property if sequence objects it creates to
"unknown". Since there is a unique key constraint on
(accession,version,namespace) the second sequence loaded will raise
an exception as it will violate the constraint.

The simplest way to deal with this is to write a SeqProcessor that
massages the accession_number appropriately and then supply the
module to load_seqdatabase.pl using the --pipeline command line switch.

There are several examples for how to do this in the email archives.
See for example this thread on the Biosql list:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biosql-l/2005-August/000901.html

with two links to examples, and Marc Logghe gives another one in the
thread itself.

Hth,

	-hilmar