[Bioperl-l] Assignment problem :(

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 3 15:53:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 09:42, Kurt Gobain wrote:
> Hi guys...I ve got this assignment to submit ...I m not asking n e 1 to do
> it for me...But if n e can gimme n e direction will be really glad,,,There
> are four .embl files which I have attached...We need to do the following
> things 1) Read 3 arguments from the user at command line.
> 2) Read in the set of files in a directory.
> 3)for each sequence reformat the sequence in to fasta format.
> 4)for each sequence in fasta format search for close homologues using the
> local copy of BLAST.
> 5) for each sequence print the swissprot name and code of its close
> homologues to an HTML formatted file that can be viewed in a web browser.Is
> it possible to extract the evalues for each hit & record them in the HTML
> file?
>
> I  m done with first two But havin problem in 3,4 & 5...I ve jus got basic
> knowledge of PERL... I ve been  really tryin hard to get solution...But not
> able to solve them...Plzz..If n e 1 can help me in giving direction will be
> really great full...

For 3, 4, and 5, I would probably look at the howtos here:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTOs

I think you will find the answers you need in the first 3.  You will also need
to have some understanding of HTML to produce your HTML file.  There are
dozens of tutorials on HTML online.  Simply googling will give you MANY hits.

Good luck.

Sean