[Bioperl-l] check for the continous segments to extract the sequences

gopu_36 gopu_36 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 01:29:03 UTC 2007

As a newbee to programming, thx for the support from this group. Please
ignore the message if this message is not relevant to this group as my
problem may be a typical computer science recursive one! (as I am not aware)

I have an array like @array = (1, 1000, 1001, 2000, 4001, 5000, 5001, 6000,
6001, 7000, 7001, 8000, 12001, 13000);
The above array gives the posiiton of sequences like '1' shows the start
position and the second element '1000' gives the end of the sequence and so
on. All the even positions like 0,2,4... shows the starting points of the
sequence and odd positions like 1000, 2000, 5000 gives the END positions of
the sequences to be retrieved. basically I have to see whwther any continous
segments lie in the list and add them together to form a one whole chunk.
For example 1-1000 and 1001-2000 can be joined together to extract sequences
from 1-2000. In the same way 4001-8000 should be extracted and 12001-13000
and so on. As I said earlier, after checking the position, I will be able to
extract that part of sequence from a whole genome. Thanks for taking ur
time. Any tip or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Gopu