[Bioperl-l] Fwd: SimpleAlign bug?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Apr 12 15:58:53 UTC 2007

Kevin Brown wrote:
>> Because, according to the documentation for Perl's sort
>> function, sorting occurs "in standard string comparison
>> order" unless the user specifies another comparison function to use.
>
> OK, guess I never realized that since I've used just "sort @array" and
> gotten things back how I expected them to be.

If you were sorting numbers, getting the order wrong either didn't
matter or you didn't notice the problem. Not realizing sort won't do
what you expect in this case is a common source of bugs.

It might be worth it for you (and anyone else) to go through your old
code to make sure you haven't been bitten.