[Bioperl-l] Odd spamming on bioperl wiki

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 11 19:53:54 UTC 2007

I'm posting this to the mail list in case anyone has any ideas on
what is going on...

I have noticed an odd (read: annoying) rash of spam on the wiki.
Jason also ran some spam reversions, so maybe he can chime in.
Essentially it looks like the responsible spambots 'correct' the wiki
text and links, so that '+' is being removed and URI-encoded symbols
in links are reverted to symbols.  Unfortunately the removal occurs
in all text, so places where '+' is intended (for instance, raw text
for showing example record formats) are also changed.  My guess is
we'll need to block the IP address or add to the blacklist if possible.

Between Jason and I we have blocked ~9 spambots and counting.
Couldn't find anything via Google yet...