[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store -cache option

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers-institute.org
Tue Apr 10 16:21:45 UTC 2007

Lincoln,

In `perldoc Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store` I read:

"Caching requires the Tie::Cacher module to be installed. If the module
is not installed, then caching will silently be disabled."

I am wondering about the design motivation for silently disabling
caching when Tie::Cacher is not installed.  Perhaps at least emitting a
warning when -cache is requested and Tie::Cacher is not present is a
good idea?

I am writing a code that depends upon caching (i.e. upon the equality of
in-memory objects).

Do you advise that I don't depend upon Tie::Cacher working?  I
understand that it will NOT work as hoped if the cache is too small for
my application.

Thanks,

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research - Kansas City, Missouri