[Bioperl-l] Creating PPD's from CPAN Bundles

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Sep 26 06:43:49 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> As long as it doesn't have any C code to compile, you would run:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> nmake
> nmake test
> tar cvf bioperl-ppm.tar blib
> gzip --best bioperl.tar
> nmake ppd
>
> You could use 7-Zip or similar to package up the tarball.  You also need to
> modify the ppd file that is generated in the last step to include the
> location of the archive file and any additional installation scripts.
>
> 'nmake test' is optional but I recommend it anyway, just to make sure
> everything works.
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Fields
> Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
> Dept. of Biochemistry
> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Sorry Chris, a slight missunderstanding, I meant things like
Bundle::BioPerl. I've been working on getting a a PPD ready for use with
PPM4 (almost there). I currently have all the dependencies in my Bioperl
PPD, but it would be best to strip out all non-essential dependencies
into Bundle::BioPerl. But Bundles just list the modules in BioPerl.pm
and don't actually include any of the code within the bundle itself. I
was going to update the current BundleBioPerl package for CPAN and then
create a PPD for it, but I'm not sure how this is done for these types
of Bundles. I'll have a look into it - but let me know if you have any
clues :o)

Nath