[Bioperl-l] Bioperl tests: Test, Test::Simple, Test::More?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Sun Sep 3 08:45:38 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>  From the INSTALL:
>
> o SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
>
> - perl 5.005 or later*.

On the wiki it says 'Bioperl currently requires at least Perl 5.6.0 but
at least 5.8.0 is recommened [sic]'

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_BioPerl

> Frankly, I think we should change that to v 5.8; it's been out for
> over three years now.  perl 5.10 isn't too far off (let alone Perl6)
> and perl 5.005, according to CPAN, is 8 years old.

I'm certainly with you regarding 5.8. Full disclosure: my
Bio::PullParserI requires 5.8 for certain things. I was going to add
some <5.8 detection and work-around code, but it would be much better if
we could just bump the requirement to 5.8.