[Bioperl-l] Misspellings in Bundle::BioPerl

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Oct 23 08:29:52 UTC 2006

Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> Sendu Bala wrote:
>> Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
>>> Sendu/Chris - can you confirm to me which Bioperl modules are essential
>>> to Bioperl and thus should *not* go into Bundle::BioPerl? Is there any
>>> reason for not putting *all* dependencies into the bundle?
>> AFAIK, there are no essential external dependencies. Everything in
>> %packages in Makefile.PL, for example, is optional.
>>
>> We had the discussion about making all the easy-to-install ones a
>> forced requirement anyway (so that most things work out of the box),
>> but perhaps we'll hold off on making such a change until after 1.5.2.
 >
> How are they forced?

They're not. Right now they're optional. I'm suggesting we might change
that in the future.

If you're asking how we /would/ force them, probably by adding
PREREQ_FATAL to the WriteMakefile() call. As it is, Bioperl installs
successfully (or should!) without its optional dependencies given in
PREREQ_PM because make test succeeds (because tests skip ok when the
optional dependency isn't there).

I don't really know how CPAN discovers dependencies and auto-installs
them before a dependent module though. Anyone care to explain?