[Bioperl-l] [Fwd: Re: Bundle::BioPerl]

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 16:10:15 UTC 2006

FYI on Bundle::BioPerl

Nathan

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Bundle::BioPerl
Date: 	Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:52:00 -0400
From: 	Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org>
To: 	Nathan S. Haigh <n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk>

Hi Nathan,

I've updated the Bundle and uploaded it to CPAN.

I *think* the rationale for keeping it still exists but I'm removed
enough from Bioperl now that I'll defer to others on the decision.

The basic idea was that BioPerl has a heck of a lot of dependencies
that it requires of (other perl modules) in order to get all the
functionality out of it. Many of these dependencies may not be
present in default Perl installations.  Tracking down all of the
dependencies and installing them (along with all of the dependencies-
of-the-dependencies) by hand is a massive pain.

The nice thing about the Bundle is that it lists the core module
dependencies and it works great with the CPAN.pm module to automate
the downloading and installation of everything that BioPerl requires.
The CPAN module is smart enough that when processing *our* bundle it
will also track down and install anything that our bundle entries
themselves list as a dependency.

So for unix/Linux systems the Bundle is a great one-liner ("perl -
MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::BioPerl'" )  way to auto-install or update
the many perl modules that BioPerl makes use of.

On the windows side, not sure if it is of any help though.

Regards,
Chris