[Bioperl-l] Blast parser.

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 2 15:01:44 UTC 2006

The alignment that you get should come from GenericHSP, not BLASTHSP.
Either way, the HSP alignment that is retrieved using $hsp->get_aln() should
be a Bio::SimpleAlign object.  You can then output that to the proper
AlignIO format using an AlignIO stream object or use the Bio::SimpleAlign
methods for further analysis.

my $aln = $hsp->get_aln();
my $alnout = Bio::AlignIO->new(-format => 'msf',
                               -fh  => \*STDOUT);
$alnout->write_aln($aln);

Quick note: not all AlignIO formats have write_aln() support at this time,
but most do.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry