[Bioperl-l] writing a pairwise alignment module: XS and Inline C?

Stephen Gordon Lenk slenk at emich.edu
Fri May 19 14:42:41 UTC 2006

There is nothing wrong with a reasonable way that works - better not
to put yourself down.

Inline is good if you can get it to work for you - I have had issues
with linking Inline to dynamic libraries. I believe Inline makes a
file that has linkage characteristics specified. Try it and see, then
tell people how you did it. My two cents.

Another way to use exterior executables is popen3, then reading and
writing to the pipes. I use it (primer3 and local lab automation
code) - snippet follows:

my $pid     = 0;
my $cancmd  = 'cancmd.exe';
my $write   = 0;
my $read    = 0;

sub new {

    my $c = {};

    $pid   = open3(\*WTRFH, \*RDRFH, \*RDRFH, $cancmd);

    $write = *WTRFH;
    $read  = *RDRFH;

    $write->autoflush();

    bless $c;
    return $c;
}

Just write your request, then read it back - I make sure that each
pair is a newline terminated text line - be sure you harvest the child
pid when you are done.