[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GFF still a nightmare...

Marco Blanchette mblanche at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 31 00:59:55 UTC 2006

Lincoln--

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say Bio::DB:GFF. As for the data file, I
have been using a modify version of the GadFly gff3 v4.2.1 annotation where
the Parent tag was modify to Gene using the following script you provided me
with some weeks ago:
    while (<>) {
        my @fields = split "\t";
        next unless $fields[2] eq 'mRNA';
        s/Parent=([^;]+)/Gene=$1/;
    } continue {
        print;
    }

The data file is publicly available using the guest user in the database
dmel_421 at riolab.net. The script I am testing is:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::DB::GFF;
use Bio::Graphics;
use Bio::SeqFeature::Generic;

my $agg1 = Bio::DB::GFF::Aggregator->new(    -method => 'pre_mRNA',
                                            -main_method => 'mRNA',
                                            -sub_parts    =>
['exon','five_prime_UTR','three_prime_UTR'],
                                        );

my $dmdb = Bio::DB::GFF    ->new( -adaptor => 'dbi::mysql',
                          -dsn =>
'dbi:mysql:database=dmel_421;host=riolab.net',
                          -user => 'guest',
                          -aggregators=> [$agg1],
                );

my @genes = qw (CG17800);

for my $gene (@genes){
    my $tg = $dmdb->segment(-name => $gene);

    my @transcripts = $tg->features(-type => 'pre_mRNA',
                                     #-attributes => {Gene => $gene},
                                     );

     for my $tc (@transcripts){
         my %atts = $tc->attributes;
         print "$_ => $atts{$_}\n" foreach (keys %atts);
         print "\n";
     }

    my $panel = Bio::Graphics::Panel->new(
                  -length => $tg->length,
                  -width  => 800,
                  -pad_left => 10,
                  -pad_right => 10,
                 );

    $panel->add_track(processed_transcript=>\@transcripts,
              -label=>1,
              -implied_utrs=>1,
              );

    open FH, ">$gene.png" || die "Can't create file $gene.png\n";
    print "saving $gene.png\n";
    print FH $panel->png;
    $panel->finished;
    close FH;
}

If you run this script as is, you will get part of CG30500 and CG30501
within together with all CG17800 mRNAs. I my understanding of the module was
that by selecting the Gene=>CG_ID attribute in the features methods, I would
trap only the transcript from CG17800 (rerun the script with un-commented
line 25 #-attributes => {Gene => $gene},). Buy doing that the script trap
the right transcripts (as seen in the STDOUT) but looses the 'pre-mRNA'
aggregate...

As you suggest, should I stop trying and wait for the release of the
Bio::DB::GFF3 module?

Again, real sorry for the confusion.

Marco

On 3/30/06 12:11 PM, "Lincoln Stein" <lstein at cshl.edu> wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> There is no Bio::DB::GFF3 module, and there is no attachment! Send out the
> data file and the script you are using and I'll comment on it.
>
> Lincoln
>
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:19, Marco Blanchette wrote:
>> Dear all--
>>
>> There¹s definitely something I don¹t get with the Bio::DB::GFF3 module...
>> When I run the following script, I get the drawing I want but contaminated
>> with pieces of overlapping genes (see attached CG17800.png_v1). My
>> understanding is that the aggregate pre-mRNAs contain the attribute
>> ŒGene->CG_ID¹ (see the output). So when I uncomment line 25 '-attributes =>
>> {Gene => $gene},' in order to get only the transcript from the queried gene

Marco Blanchette, Ph.D.

mblanche at berkeley.edu

Donald C. Rio's lab
16 Barker Hall