[Bioperl-l] TraceSearch

Adam Spargo aws at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 12:43:47 UTC 2006

Hi,
We would like to announce the launch of a new free service which gives
public access to the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute Trace Archive via
sequence similarity. The archive contains records of all publicly
available DNA sequencing reads. The search engine, available at:

http://trace.ensembl.org/cgi-bin/tracesearch

allows users to identify any sequences in the archive with significant
similarity to their query sequence. Users are able to search the whole
archive in a few seconds, or alternatively to limit the search by species,
sequencing centre or trace type. We use a version of the SSAHA algorithm
to distribute an index over a cluster of machines so that we can continue
to scale the service as the archive grows.

Full Story:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Info/Press/

We welcome any feedback and suggestions for improvements to this service.

Please forward this email to collegues and collaborators who may be
interested.

Thanks,

On behave of the TraceSearch development team.

--
Dr Adam Spargo
High Performance Assembly Group   email: aws at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute   Tel: +44 (0)1223 834244 x7728
Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA       Fax: +44 (0)1223 494919