[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:15:25 UTC 2006

Wow, we're doing a little bioperl spring cleaning here!

I agree with Hilmar: create a new module (Bio::Taxon), which claims the
namespace, and deprecate the old ones.

How 'broken', exactly, is Bio::Taxonomy?  The idea behind it seems just
(container for Nodes) but maybe it should just be reconfigured, and all the
classes in directory Bio/Taxonomy deprecated.  Or should we start from
scratch completely?

Don't know if it has been attempted but it would be nice to have a way for
building taxonomic trees from Node/Taxon information using a Taxonomy-like
container object.  I like the way NCBI does something along these lines with
BLAST output now.

BTW, thanks guys for a rousing discussion!

Chris