[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Jul 26 16:25:41 UTC 2006

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Sorry, can you summarize this in a few sentences? If you do want
> feedback from me you really need to be more concise.

A bad solution-module stores any kind of taxonomic information outside
of the solution-module or in an inconsistent form. By 'inconsistent' I
mean, sometimes you store the name of a taxonomic rank with
$node->node_name, other times you store it in an array or scalar held
directly on the solution-module or elsewhere.

Bio::Taxonomy specifically is not usable. Generally speaking, classes
that are containers of multiple nodes are also inappropriate, because
they result in excess database retrieval and excess storage of
duplicated information amongst instances of such classes.

Bio::Taxonomy::Node combined with Bio::DB::Taxonomy::list would probably
be ideal.