[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 25 18:24:12 UTC 2006

Sendu, you'll have to make the changes how you see fit.  You see my point
now, which is great.

>From my perspective, all the object type (used to contain taxonomy file
information) needs to contain is the scientific name and common names like
the SOURCE line abbreviated name and the actual GenBank common name, if
present.  All the other cruft (i.e. genus/species/subspecies) can be
excised, and the proper taxonomic information, if wanted, could be accessed
via the object and it's TaxID.  Organelle and lineage information needs to
be retained (for the non-taxonomists) and could be stored in that object,
bumped to SimpleValue objects, or just set (alternative, since the data is
small) using a get/set value within the sequence object itself.  This would
be the bare-bones approach, which Node can fulfill.

I also like Hilmar's proposal about including optional lookups, which
greatly increases the flexibility when screening sequences.  This will
likely require a more complicated object structure (i.e. taxonomy with
nodes).  You suggested a Taxonomy-like object which would work; but don't
force Bio::Species into the mix.  Why not just use a simple Bio::Taxonomy
object for that (Hilmar's point).

When one asks for $species->species, they'll get a Node or Taxonomy,
whichever is used (that's up to you).  The Node represents a more-barebones
variation, while the Taxonomy object scheme would be more fully-realized.
Either way will work for me.  Just don't call it 'species'.  ; >

Once this is all done, will we really have a need for Bio::Species?  That's
my other point.  The only real use for it was as a container object for
sequence data.  That job is now done via a Taxonomy/Node object.  The only
real use it would have is as a container for taxonomic information for
species ranks or below.  I think Node/Taxonomy can handle evan that though,
so now it's also redundant.  If a class is not useful and is redundant,
maybe it should be deprecated.

Anyway, I can't get involved anymore at this point; I'm too busy with
getting ready for the Kadner Institute next week.  Good luck!

Chris