[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:58:29 UTC 2006

Agreed.  I fully support the addition of an optional lookup; it gives much
more flexibility SeqIO re: your previous examples of screening sequence
streams for sequences that are primate, mitochondrial, etc.  The key word I
want to emphasize is 'optional', not 'enforced'.

I appreciate what Sendu is trying to do; I really do.  I think carrying over
an object named 'Bio::Species' into Taxonomy is too confusing (your
'contagion' analogy, as it were).  The 'species' concept (biologically
speaking here, not talking about the Bioperl class) is a taxonomic rank
(i.e. part of a taxonomy).  I'm trying to take a biologist's point of view
here.  What is a 'species'?  Or, if we were to stick strictly with using
NCBI definitions, what is a 'species'?

The NCBI definition of 'species' is simply a rank in a lineage, so it is (in
Bioperl terms) a Node.  If we were to follow that line of reasoning, why
also have a Species object represent a Taxonomy as well?  It's way too
confusing.

Sendu's repeatedly stating "a Species is a Taxonomy" makes some sense in a
BioPerl world only, as we're speaking about a class that has been around for
a long time, one that acted as a container of sorts for sequence data.  And
I understand what he intends to do.

Conceptually speaking here, though, the way it is laid out, a Bio::Species
object can hold a Node that represents a 'species' rank, as well as a
'genus' Node, and a 'family' node, and on and on.  That's not a 'species',
that's a taxonomy.  So just call it a Taxonomy.

The object itself (Bio::Species) never truly represented a 'species' anyway,
biologically speaking, every time it held sequence data.  It could be a
subspecies, strain, plasmid, unknown, or an unclassified rank ('no rank') or
environmental sample. It really held a fancier representation of a node, as
based on the TaxID.

My final point is, saying "a species is a taxonomy" to the rest of the
biological world doesn't make sense.  Maybe it makes sense to you and I and
Sendu, in our little Bioperl world.  But to the thousands of users out there
who don't completely grok the Bioperl class structure, it's just confusing.

If I were to get an object back that was labeled Bio::Species, as a
biologist I would expect it to be part of a taxonomy, not the actual
Taxonomy itself.  So, why not cut to the chase: if we are to fundamentally
change the concept of what Bio::Species is by making it a Taxonomy/TaxonomyI
or whatever, why not just use a Taxonomy object altogether and not bother
with Bio::Species at all?  Deprecate it.

BTW, I'll be in Connecticut for five days at UConn.  So I hope to escape the
heat for a bit.  Thanks for listening to my side of things.

Chris