[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 24 13:44:37 UTC 2006

Hence the reason to have it be a hybrid of Bio::Species and
Tax::Node.  Bio::SeqIO::genbank works very happily with the current
Bio::Taxonomy::Node now; if we intend to remove most of the method we
need to have a similar DB-aware module to house the flatfile data
(like Bio::Species) yet be capable of working with Bio::Taxonomy
(like Tax::Node).

As for organelle(), that could be made into something else
(Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue or similar) but as it's always been
included with the tax data, that's where it has been.  The TaxID in
the 'source' seqfeature doesn't refer to the organelle but the organism.

Chris