[Bioperl-l] bioperl pulls, xml parsers push, and things get complicated

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Wed Jul 19 16:20:21 UTC 2006

There are a lot of different XML processing strategies. Most fall into
two categories: stream-based and tree-based.

With the stream-based strategy, the parser continuously alerts a program
to patterns in the XML. The parser functions like a pipeline, taking XML
markup on one end and pumping out processed nuggets of data to your program.

With the tree-based strategy, the parser keeps the data to itself until
the very end, when it presents a complete model of the document to your
program. The whole point to this strategy is that your program can pull
out any data it needs, in any order.

Most of the times I use tree-based strategies because they place all of
the data into a structure which lets me to access any internal node
using array/hash references. The simplest parser for this is XML::Simple
using XML::Parser as the 'preferred parser' (which is built on top of
XML::Parser::Expat, which is a wrapper around the expat library).

More advanced parsers (both stream and tree-based) are:

* XML::LibXML (a wrapper for libxml2's C library)
* XML::Grove (takes a tree and changes it into an object hierarchy. Each
node type is represented by a different class)
* XML::PYX (for repackaging XML as a stream of easily recognizable and
transmutable symbols)
* XML::SimpleObject (changes a hierarchy of lists into a hierarchy of
objects)
* XML::XPath (for writing expressions that pinpoint specific pieces of
documents)

There are also some standards-based solutions like:

* XML::SAX (Simple API for XML) for event streams.
* XML::DOM (Document Object Model) for tree processing.

Your strategy of choice depends a lot on the type of XML files you want
to parse. Understanding the structure of the files and deciding which is
the data you want to extract from them is a fundamental step to choose
the appropriate method/parser to use.

Just my 2 cents :)

Regards,
Mauricio.