[Bioperl-l] advice

Torsten Seemann torsten.seemann at infotech.monash.edu.au
Tue Jul 18 03:53:02 UTC 2006

> Ha !  I *almost* added something about that.  I thought his vowel keys were
> broken for a bit, maybe from pounding the keyboard with extreme frustration!

The wide variety of pronunciation of English around the world can be
mostly blamed on those damned vowels... so perhaps removing them helps
one to reach a wider audience :-)

> As an aside, doesn't Damian Conway say something about the non-use of vowels
> in 'Perl Best Practices?'  I think it was in relation to variables,
> though...

Yeah, on page 46 he says NOT to remove vowels in variable names, use
prefixes instead. Apprntly rmvng vwls mks t hrdr t ndrstnd stff.

(Actually, I studied at Monash University under Damian Conway, and
recall his ridiculing of Perl, so I found it kind of ironic that he
ended up changing the Perl landscape so significantly! He even wrote an
internal publication "theStyle - a guide to C programming style" in
about 1990 in which he violates some of his later Perl Best Practices :-)

--
Dr Torsten Seemann               http://www.vicbioinformatics.com
Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium, Monash University, Australia