[Bioperl-l] Is it worth it?

Stephen Gordon Lenk slenk at emich.edu
Mon Feb 27 21:07:38 UTC 2006

Gee golly ollie, this is good advice. I face the same issues, but am much older (53). I am taking a Sloan MS in
Bioinformatics while working full time at the car parts company. I bring what I have newly learned at school to
work (Perl especially, in which I build and share tools even as far away as exotic India (smile)). I take what I have
from work (discipline, experience, work ethic) and apply it to open source and shared school projects. The
world has given me a lot; I enjoy giving back. Why not take an MS in Biology/Bioinformatics at your pace and
see where it leads. I have no idea if I will EVER have a JOB in Bioinformatics, so I just live it day by day. Plug
follows - see MCPrimers at CPAN for PCR primer design for molecular cloning with site-directed mutagenesis. I
did this as an outgrowth of a Rectech class I took.