[Bioperl-l] StandAloneBlast->blastall array of Bio::Seq objects

Andrew Stewart stewarta at nmrc.navy.mil
Thu Dec 14 17:49:45 UTC 2006

> So can you look at the tempfile that is created and see if it is sane?
>
> Set -save_tempfiles => 1 whene you initialize the factory object or do
> $factory->save_tempfiles(1)
> before calling the blastall.
>
> -jason

Jason,
I was actually wondering how to do that.  Thanks.  Odd though, it
still doesn't seem to be saving the tempfiles.  Might not matter
though, because...

> The error pops up when the executable returns a bad status, so
> maybe it's choking on too many input sequences (i.e. Bioperl is
> doing everything correctly, but you are attempting to BLAST too
> many sequences in one go).  How many sequences are you attempting
> to use as input?  What happens when you use fewer input sequences?
>
> chris

I was processing 738 sequences for input.  I cut that down to 20
sequences and I'm getting some other exception thrown further
downstream, so it appears you may be correct.  You don't happen to
know what the max number of sequences that blastall allows for input,
would ya? ;)  I suppose I'll have to break @query down into smaller
doses or something.

Thanks,
Andrew