[Bioperl-l] StandAloneBlast->blastall array of Bio::Seq objects

Andrew Stewart stewarta at nmrc.navy.mil
Thu Dec 14 16:34:43 UTC 2006

Thanks for the reply, Sendu.

So I've tried passing a reference to an array of Seq objects with the
following code...

	push @blast_run, $factory->blastall(\@query);  # where @query is an
array of Bio::Seq objects

(In case you're wondering, I'm pushing the report into an array of
reports because I'm running several instances of blastall with
different parameters each time.)

....and it throws me the following exception...

------------- EXCEPTION: Bio::Root::Exception -------------
MSG: blastall call crashed: 11 /common/bin/blastall -p  blastp  -d  "/
common/data/BACILLUS.pep"  -i  /tmp/Z69hzaqEbR  -o  /tmp/02Zja7AF3E

STACK: Error::throw
STACK: Bio::Root::Root::throw /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.6/Bio/Root/Root.pm:328
STACK: Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast::_runblast /sw/lib/
perl5/5.8.6/Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlast.pm:759
STACK: Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast::_generic_local_blast /sw/lib/
perl5/5.8.6/Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlast.pm:706
STACK: Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast::blastall /sw/lib/perl5/5.8.6/
Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlast.pm:557
STACK: main::run_blastall ./new_blast_script.pl:215
STACK: ./new_blast_script.pl:115

And % more -Nl 759 /path/to/Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlast.pm returns...
757         my $status = system($commandstring);
758
759         $self->throw("$executable call crashed: $? $commandstring
\n")
760           unless ($status==0) ;

So it looks like the system call isn't returning a happy $status.  At
this point I'm pretty much stuck, though.  Blastall works just fine
if I only send it a single Seq object.  Looking at _setinput, it
appears a reference to an array of Seq objects should end up creating
a multi-fasta file.  The only possibilities I can think of to explain
this is...

- The -i file isn't be created for some reason when an (ref to) array
of Seqs is passed
- There is something wrong with the -i file that is created and sent
to blastall.
- Something else is wrong with the $commandstring being sent to the
system call.

Does anyone see something here that I don't?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Stewart