[Bioperl-l] Database Retrieval

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 8 22:23:49 UTC 2006

Hilmar,

I agree with "Don't get into the way of someone who threatens to code."  Not
my point by the response.  We are all willing to code here.  Sean has
donated preliminary code; I am willing to work on interfaces.  If Sendu
wants to work on this as well, fine, but indicate why he needs it by a
certain deadline.  I feel that forcing a deadline may be premature if the
sole reason (as Sendu indicated) is to include it in a possible 1.5.5
release, which, BTW, no one has stepped forward to make happen yet.

My main concern is 'turning people off' who want to contribute to Bioperl by
having a Bioperl developer (1) impose a deadline, and (2) indicate that they
will take things over if the deadline isn't reached.  That is, in essence,
what Sendu has done.  I had proposed making the deadline a few weeks later
as a compromise, to get Sean and I past the initial rush of the fall
semester.  I think this is perfectly reasonable. Sean's response also
indicates he is under time constraints as well.  And he indicates potential
problems, so any input (and code) he gives would be priceless.

Sendu never indicates why this can't wait a few extra weeks, just that he'll
dive in and do it himself anyway, regardless of what we think.  That's not
very considerate of Sean's efforts here, nor mine.  This is all completely
unintentional, I'm sure, (the medium of email does remove a certain
emotional quotient) but that's how it comes across, regardless.  At this
point, when I see things like this it makes me want to throw in the towel
and take a back seat to Bioperl development.

I appreciate Sendu's intentions here, and I agree with him 99% of the time.
I listen to his opinions, and I hope he listens to mine.  And I understand
some of his reasoning in wanting to get this in ASAP; a new Bioperl release
is long LONG overdue.  I just don't want anyone's toes getting stepped on in
the process, especially someone willing to donate their own code, time, and
effort to help out.  The more hands the merrier (my point about this being a
community project), and Bioperl needs any help it can get right now.

Chris