[Bioperl-l] Database Retrieval

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 7 16:24:13 UTC 2006

This was brought up previously:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general/11808/
match=ucsc

Would be nice to get something up and running here, even if it just
returned raw data (not objects).  The more access the better.

In a similar vein, I developed Bio::DB::EUtiities to fetch raw data,
like sequences, XML, etc, from any NCBI Entrez database as an
alternative to using Bioperl objects; it could be used via an I/O
module (like SeqIO) to convert said data into Bioperl objects or just
return it unmodified by using it directly.  Still needs some work,
just haven't had time lately.

BTW, you can use a 'slice adaptor' via GenBank files as well, both
via Bio::DB::GenBank and Bio::DB::EUtilities.  They both accept the
parameters seq_start, seq_stop, and strand, and both return the
sequence slice containing relevant seqfeatures, etc for the region.

Chris