[Bioperl-l] Setting Theoretical Database size for bl2seq

Joseph Bedell jbedell at oriongenomics.com
Wed Oct 26 13:08:54 EDT 2005

Hi Tembe,

I believe that you would set -d to "length of database", as opposed to
effective length; however the best bet would be to set -Y to "effective
search space" since Effective length is actually given in the -Y usage
statement. I'm not completely sure if -d is looking for the effective
size or actual size of the database. At the end of the day, the numbers
differ by so little that you probably won't see a true diff in the
e-values between actual vs. effective database size.

Joey

Joseph A Bedell, Ph.D.         office: 314-615-6979
Director, Bioinformatics         fax:    314-615-6975
Orion Genomics                   cell:   314-518-1343
4041 Forest Park Ave
St. Louis, MO 63108