FW: [Bioperl-l] How to extract promoter region seq from genbank or another source?

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Fri Oct 14 21:28:56 EDT 2005

ENSEMBL experts?

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sam Al-Droubi <saldroubi at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: Brian Osborne <brian_osborne at cognia.com>
Subject: Re: [Bioperl-l] How to extract promoter region seq from genbank or
another source?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the response.  I looked at it but it seems that enembl does
not use accession numbers.   It seems that they have their own numbering
scheme.  If so how do I get the mapping between the two.  If I can't get the
promoter region sequence then do you know if there is a way I can get the
entire chromosome sequence?  If so, I can then try to find the gene within
it and then grab the promoter region.
I am new to all this so I am sorry if I sound ignorant in this area.

On the surface, it seems that one should be able to do this easily but it
has not been easy so far.

Thank you.