[Bioperl-l] Re: BioCorba and phylogenetic trees

Chervitz, Steve Steve_Chervitz at affymetrix.com
Fri Oct 14 21:24:11 EDT 2005

> From: Martin Senger <senger at ebi.ac.uk>
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 03:56:33 +0100 (BST)
>
> On Oct 12, 2005, Rutger Vos wrote:
>>
>> It seems to me that corba is much more scalable than soap, but somehow
>> soap is "winning". It's betamax all over again, I'm tellin' ya.
>>
>    Exactly! You said it all. BTW, I am still using CORBA, but I hide it in
> internal implementation - the outside word sees just SOAP
> messages. Marketing (and firewalls) make the word.

CORBA does seem to have an image problem, deservedly or not. Here are some
articles that provide some insight:

SOAP raises the bar for CORBA:
http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,28737,00.html

Web Services/SOAP and CORBA
http://www.xs4all.nl/~irmen/comp/CORBA_vs_SOAP.html

Web services: Is it CORBA redux?
http://news.com.com/2010-1071-954808.html

Alternatives to CORBA and SOAP:

Second Generation Web Services
http://webservices.xml.com/pub/a/ws/2002/02/06/rest.html

Internet Communication Engine:
http://www.zeroc.com/

Also worth noting here, the open-bio community has it's own aspect of
distributed computing called DAS, which employs a REST-ful architecture:
http://biodas.org/

Steve