[Bioperl-l] Problem while downloading bioperl on windows 2000

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 7 10:28:55 EDT 2005

I would try switching over to the newest Activestate perl 5.8 version
(you're running 5.6).  The newest version of perl 5.8 is 5.8.7.813.  That
may help a bit.

I checked the ppd files at bioperl.org/DIST and the newest version look like
they require 5.8, although a search with PPM shows that a number of them are
available for "MSWin32-x86-multi-thread", which could be version 5.6.  I'm
not quite sure.  You can also download a newer ppm at gmod.org (set the GMOD
repository to http://www.gmod.org/ggb/ppm).  It's listed as v 1.511 but
really corresponds to the CVS version of bioperl checked out at that time,
with all relevant updates for GBrowse.  This last one is really made for
compatibility with Gbrowse but works fine for everyday use; I haven't had
any problems with it here.

I think an official 1.51 release is also on the way (several release
candidates have been sent out, but all are tarballed UNIX archives).  A PPM
should be available shortly after that.

Chris

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab