[Bioperl-l] Re: entrezgene binary ASN

Mingyi Liu mingyi.liu at gpc-biotech.com
Mon Oct 3 08:02:07 EDT 2005

Yelp, I agree with pretty much all the points Hilmar raised.  I don't
think all the opinions on pipes or index/seek differ that much.

Just want to note that Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene::Indexer (included in the
download of Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene and a child class of
Bio::Index::AbstractSeq) already does the indexing and retrieval of
Bio::Seq object of entrez gene using id.  And Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene
returns filehandle through function fh, which can be used for seeking
(and in fact, Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene::Indexer uses the function to do
seeking for a non-bio-perl-standard function it provides).  So seeking
possibility is already provided by the fh function in the low-level
parser of entrezgene, but not directly handled in parser (though used in
indexer).

Mingyi