[Bioperl-l] Re: "Volunteers needed"

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sat Nov 5 12:08:32 EST 2005

On Nov 5, 2005, at 4:50 AM, Ewan Birney wrote:
> welcome on board - have you tried out BioPerl? It is a rather large
> project
> and definitely there are some un-cared for areas that need some TLC.
>
> I guess Jason or Aaron might have some ideas, but a good starting
> place is
> to download bioperl, go make test and also look at the start of the
> tutorial.
> I have no doubt that you'll spot some sub-optimal things on teh way
>
> Once that's done I'm not 100% sure where is a good place to start: DB
> access
> of some other internet accessible sequence databases?

I suspect I may be good at wrestling/smoothing installs, test scripts,
POD, etc. I have access to Mac OS X, 3 flavors of Linux, and AIX. I'm
no porting guru, but I'm strong in general Perl, test scripts, CPAN
installs, web/Internet coding, databases, Apache, Linux, etc. If those
skills are needed in the Bioperl community I'd be happy to take a stab
at submitting various patches or tackling whatever.

The other side of my equation is that I'm thoroughly ignorant in
biology and genetics. For 10 years I've been data crunching / web
portaling / e-commercing for companies that have nothing to do with
this new "hobby." I am, however, committed to learning if I can find a
niche somewhere in which I can help, no matter how small the
contribution. I've picked up a few books and am consuming those as time
allows. Turns out genetics and biology are complicated. Who knew?
-grin-

It would be fantastic if I could find a local lab that could use my
help (Omaha, NE USA). Luckily my skills telecommute fairly easily, so
if any scientist genius type anywhere wants some slave labor I'd
happily do their bidding under their wing.

Programming, databases, and Internet interaction are my forte.
Unfortunately I'm guessing my lack of bio skills render my programming
skills unusable for much of the work going on...?

Anyway, I'm just very motivated to help someone doing genetic research
for the greater good. It would be a great feeling to know that maybe
someday my labor may help produce something that will help people. I've
been working for money for 10 years now, and am attempting a shift in
focus. Part time. -grin-

I hope I can help.

Jay Hannah
Omaha, NE