[Bioperl-l] Re: "Volunteers needed"

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Nov 5 05:50:03 EST 2005

Jay Hannah wrote:
>> Volunteers needed
>> Bioperl is run by volunteers from all over the world, with many types
>> of backgrounds. Any contributions of Perl code, html, documentation
>> writing or code testing are very welcome. Contact
>> bioperl-l at bioperl.org for more information.
>

> Hello --
>
> I've been a Perl/database hacker for 10 years, and am trying to find out
> how best I can help genetics research. I saw your request above, so am
> throwing my name into your hat if you want to try throwing me into a
> project or twelve.

welcome on board - have you tried out BioPerl? It is a rather large project
and definitely there are some un-cared for areas that need some TLC.

I guess Jason or Aaron might have some ideas, but a good starting place is
to download bioperl, go make test and also look at the start of the tutorial.
I have no doubt that you'll spot some sub-optimal things on teh way

Once that's done I'm not 100% sure where is a good place to start: DB access
of some other internet accessible sequence databases?