[Bioperl-l] NCBI Genbank ID to TaxonID via Bioperl?

Rob Edwards rob at salmonella.org
Wed Jun 22 02:46:23 EDT 2005

Possibly the easiest way to do this is using the eutils facilities.

e.g.

This url will retrieve the tax id for gi 1234
http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/elink.fcgi?
dbfrom=nucleotide&db=taxonomy&id=1234

will return:
<eLinkResult>
<LinkSet>
	<DbFrom>nucleotide</DbFrom>
	<IdList>
		<Id>1234</Id>
	</IdList>
	<LinkSetDb>
		<DbTo>taxonomy</DbTo>
		<LinkName>nucleotide_taxonomy</LinkName>
		<Link>
			<Id>9940</Id>
		</Link>
	</LinkSetDb>