[Bioperl-l] Error loading sequence with load_seqdatabase.pl

Duangdaow Kanhasiri dbastar at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 00:32:42 EDT 2005

Thank you very much for your advice, Hilmar...

I've found that, after several times of restarting the
perl script load_seqdatabase.pl and it wouldn't run
any more with the error as:

$perl load_seqdatabase.pl /export/Bacteria/*/*.gbk &
 [1]+  Segmentation fault      perl
load_seqdatabase.pl
 /export/Bacteria/*/*.gbk &

Finally I couldn't even run any perl command anymore
as:

$ perl --version
Segmentation fault

I've ask for help aroud here and someone told me that
the command I used might have loaded to many sequence
files names at one time that make it impossible for
the perl script load_seqdatabase.pl to handle.

I've done the work around for this problem by
re-booting the machine (in -order to make the perl
work again), and devided the genbank sequence files to
be loaded with the perl script load_seqdatabase.pl
into many small number of files and load them one
small chunk at a time.

Now it started to run again and this time I'm praying
for it to continue working, if not, another pray is
  that I could re-start it agin after it failed.

Regards,

Davina

--- Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at gmx.net> wrote:

> [...]
> a perl/bioperl
> script and some people on the bioperl-l list may
> happen to be on a
> platform similar to yours.
>
> Second, you're saying now the script wouldn't run at
> all anymore? With
> what error message? You might try to supply --debug
> as an option if the
> script does at least something before it dies. The
> output will be
> potentially extensive so be sure to capture in a
> file, then send it me.
>
> If the script dies immediately I'm afraid I can't do
> anything. My gut
> feeling is that there is something with your
> compiler, C runtime
> library, or DBI/DBD compiled code that doesn't play
> well with your
> perl. Did you do a binary install of perl or did you
> compile it from
> source?
>
> Really your best bet is to find someone who's on the
> same or a similar
> platform and see whether he/she has had similar
> problems or none of
> these.
>
> 	-hilmar
>
> On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Duangdaow Kanhasiri
> wrote:
>
> > The system I use hase following configs:
> >
> > CPU:               2 @ AthlonXP2000
> > OS:                Rocks Cluster v 3.3
> > Total Memory:      2 GB
> > DBD::Pg version:   1.42
> > DBI version:       1.48
> >
> > I've attached the out put of the top command
> (top.txt)
> > with this mail.  Unfortunately that the script
> > load_seqdatabase.pl wouldn't run anymore, no
> matter
> > how many time I tried running it, therefore, I
> > couldn't measure how much it consumes the resource
> > (cpu, memory) on the machine.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Davina
> >

> > --- Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> What OS are you running this on? How much memory
> >> have you got on the
> >> machine on which you run the script, and on the
> >> machine on which you
> >> run the database? Are these the same or not?
> Which
> >> version of DBI and
> >> DBD::Pg?
> >>
> >> This hasn't been reported by anyone else really
> so I
> >> suspect it's
> >> either due to too limited memory, or a problem in
> >> the DBD driver or in
> >> the DBI compiled code. Can you watch the process
> >> (using, e.g., top) and
> >> see how fast it increases in memory consumption?
> >> Since you can continue
> >> when you restart it's not something specific to
> one
> >> sequence that would
> >> trigger the problem; rather it appears whenever
> you
> >> have run through a
> >> certain number of entries the process dies.

/export/Bacteria/Lactobacillus_johnsonii_NCC_533/NC_005362.gbk

online.html<load_seqdatabase.pl>_______________________________________

> >> --

=== message truncated ===