[Bioperl-l] AlignIO and bl2seq

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:58:22 EDT 2005

> I know I should be using SearchIO to get the HSPs

Not to be trite, so why don't you? The AlignIO bl2seq parsing is just
a hack to delegate to the SearchIO objects for the parsing.  I only
updated it to use SearchIO when we stopped supporting BPbl2seq
parsing.  Look at the code and you'll see what it is  doing I hope.
I would be more in favor of removing AlignIO::bl2seq anyways but I am
a big believer in keeping the API as stable as possible - at least
not removing functionality without good reason.

To answer you question - probably because when the aln object is made
from the HSP object we don't initialize the score field.  The
question would be which score would you want - bit score or some
people might expect e-value (even if it isn't a score).  The Search
objects are just going to be richer wrt the pairwise aln data so I
would start with SearchIO - you can always get Bio::SimpleAlign
objects back out with the $hsp->get_aln method.

HTH,
-jason