[Bioperl-l] Re: Fixing bioperl [was Re: [GMOD-devel] Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] Analysis features (Re: Final alpha release of gmod (chado))]

Scott Cain cain at cshl.edu
Fri Jul 29 11:17:12 EDT 2005

Hi Chris,

I agree that the changes you suggest below need to happen, and I am
willing to move forward with them.  After the last release of
gmod/chado, I was planning to restructure several sections of the gmod
architecture, so incorporating changes in bioperl will just go along for
the ride.

The main section of affected code in gmod is the GFF bulk loader, but
after we make the changes to the bioperl API, it shouldn't be too hard
to fix the loader.  In fact, some of those changes may have already
started.  I remember a few weeks before I release the gmod/chado
package, Hilmar sent out an announcement that he made some changes.
While I should have paid attention then, I was busy getting my release
together, and everything seemed to work, so I ignored it.
Unfortunately, the reason things continued to work was that I forgot to
update my bioperl-live, and as a result, the gmod release doesn't work
with bioperl-live.  So now, there is a tarball of bioperl released with
the gmod release.

OK, mentally put parenthesis around most of the last paragraph, as it is
mostly an aside.

The other section of code that could have been affected but won't be is
the ontology loader.  The current ontology loader depends on
Bio::Ontology, but I was already planning on migrating to go-perl for

So, who wants to take the lead on this?

Thanks,
Scott