[Bioperl-l] struggling with Bio::FeatureIO and Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Jan 30 23:10:49 EST 2005

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, at 01:45  AM, Allen Day wrote:

>>> because Bio::SeqFeautre::Annotated holds annotations as
>>> objects pointers
>>> rather than strings.  We can fix this with a stringification
>>> overload, but I noticed that the code exists to do this in the
>>> Bio::Annotation::*
>>> classes but is commented out, and I'm not sure why.  Maybe
>>> Hilmar can shed some light on this.

sorry I think I missed this. I don't know what pieces of code you're
talking about, so I can't shed light either. Where did you see the
commented out stringification overload? I checked SimpleValue and
couldn't see anything.

Generally, I'd comment that if a method is supposed to return an array
of strings but in violation returns an array of objects, then adding
stringification overload to the returned objects' implementations is
the wrong strategy.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org